Saturday, June 23, 2012

thoughts on preschool

I was recently visiting with a friend from church who has twin five year olds. They will be starting kindergarten in the fall. They are currently in the school district provided preschool. I thought about enrolling Kiddo, but determined that it was unlikely that we would make the cut, as kids who have special needs and then financial issues get first entry. Plus, it is five days a week, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

Any way, she was telling me about how they come home with packets to do with their parents, and how they can read simple words, and I thought "I want my kid to be able to do that, maybe I should get her into that preschool."

Then I thought: wait a second. Packets, as in homework, in preschool? No. I want none of that for my kid. In fact, I don't even want her in preschool five days a week (although she'd probably love it). We've chosen the three day route. This is upcoming year is my last to spend with Kiddo before she's gone all day, and I'm taking it.

Plus we've started to talk about reading, and actually learning some things, and she's already making excellent progress. So now I especially don't need her to have homework yet.