Friday, June 22, 2012

some of my thoughts

While we were in Texas I got chiggers. So did Babs. I've never attracted this particular bug before. I will be fine if I never do again. I am blessed that they only severely itched for two days, then moderately for two more. I still have scabs, but I think I may be finally done with them soon. Don't read up on chiggers unless you need to - they're gross. But if you ever get them, I believe the most important advice is Don't Itch!

Babs is sick again. While her fever has been kept in check by ibuprofen (and occasionally some acetaminophen), it's still a drag. It is becoming real to me what a blessing it is that I am at home with the girls, otherwise this week would have been very hard trying to juggle work and a sick kid. And this is at least the fourth time it's happened since we moved here. What a blessing that I'm home and can care for her. What I do have to deal with is a very social four-year old who would love to be seeing other people every day, and instead is quarantined to the house until her sister improves. I'm grateful she is self-entertaining a lot.


Our Family Home Evening lesson on Monday was about having a house of order, to make it easier for the Spirit to be here. It's taken me four days, but I finally got our living room (where we actually live, not where we entertain) clean today, mostly because Babs took a two hour nap this morning. One room down, seven to go. (But what a remarkable blessing to have 8 rooms!) But I should note, this is a real clean, not the junk pushed to the corners of the room clean (my personal default clean). The point of getting it clean (other than the obvious) is to have a starting point for my very serious push to get my kids to take more responsibility for their messes. Kiddo in particular is a big fan of play with one toy in a large messy way, and move straight to the next one. She will do most anything to avoid helping me pick up. But I've determined I am more persistent than her, so we will make this happen.