Tuesday, May 8, 2012

when she grows up

There are lots of things Kiddo wants to do when she grows up. She yearns to be a farmer. And an animal trainer. Some days she plans on being a paleontologist. Other days she plans to fly to outer space. She always wants to be a mom. A few nights ago I learned about another dream.
(she'd also like to be a librari-anne)
She has two "body books" which are books about how the body works. She often likes me to read to her from them as we go to bed. After reading a few pages the other night, she said she'd like to show me her favorite page, which I agreed I'd like to see. She turned a few pages, and there it was, the page about ... acne.

She especially wanted me to explain to her the diagrams of clogged pores. Then she asked how much the skin pokes up over a clogged pore. I pulled my sleeve over my shoulder, quickly found a zit, and showed her. Then I popped it, to get the infection out. She was so very, very impressed. When she gets to be a mommy, she will also be able to have clogged pores, and she's pretty excited about this.

***

The silliness of that moment was dulled by a sad feeling I have about my two sweet girls (long term) growing up. I look into their clear eyes, and perfect skin, and marvel at it. Then I feel sad, because there is a very good chance that they inherited my rosacea, and will not get to, but have to, deal with irritated, red skin for a lot of their adulthood. Maybe when this happens I can remind Kiddo how cool she thought it was, back in the day.