Wednesday, May 23, 2012

when a fever is not just a fever

The day before my parents came, Babs got a fever. This is not the first time this has happened, and it seems to not be a big deal. No one else gets sick when this happens, and it usually goes away after a day or two. So we proceeded onward with our weekend plans of visits with family and other events.

But the fever just didn't go away. And it seemed to be getting worse. We weathered the weekend, and tried to convince ourselves on Monday morning that she was really getting better. But by midday I realized it just wasn't true, and called up the doctor. The moment that I knew she had to go was when I realized that typically, my child is happy and plays all day, and I don't have to hold her all day. The idea of putting her down again was so attractive I had to call the doctor.

A few minutes with the doctor and now we know she had strep. Twenty-four hours with antibiotics, and she's herself again (albeit a tired self, we haven't had a full nights rest around this place for almost a week). And soon she'll really be right again. Thank goodness for antibiotics, and doctors who know their business.