Monday, March 12, 2012

play acting

My brother talks about how it wasn't until his first child was four or five months old that it finally, truly sank in that this kid's parents would never come and pick her up, in fact he was the parent. He felt a little like he had been play acting, and it took him a while to feel comfortable with his role. (Rest assured, he is super comfortable and good at his role now, as he was then.)

I feel that way as I walk around my minivan, strapping my kids in, closing the doors, driving off and around town. It feels completely normal, and yet totally bizarre. When will my mom come and tell me to go get my homework done? Maybe that's why it's weird... the last time I drove a minivan consistently was when I was in high school. Now I'm not, in fact I have two kids, and a house, and I'm an adult. When did this happen?