Friday, February 24, 2012

finding a preschool

We visited two preschools this last week, which actually meant that we visited four classrooms. In every instance Kiddo walked in, and before I could stop her, went a joined the class. She sat with them for circle time, played with them at play time, did worksheets and was ready to be involved from the first moment. I was very impressed with her maturity in leaving the classes when I asked her to, even though she clearly did not want to.

One preschool teacher told me that meant I'd done my job well, that my child was ready to leave me and join groups of children so readily. I thought that was a nice party line, but didn't really accept it, because Kiddo has been like this from the start. From her first day at nursery, she's had no need of me when there has been organized children class time.

In addition, if I accept that Kiddo's willingness to be independent is a product of my mothering, then what on earth have I done wrong with Babs? Because she wants no part of nursery, and spent all of story time at the library trying to climb up me so she could be less involved (and she was not involved).

I prefer to think that they just came different. And that while Kiddo is plenty independent, there are also times she needs me. And while Babs can't think of any place better than being held by me, she is also ready to run when it suits her (like in the grocery store, apparently a place where she is incredibly comfortable.)

Oh, and we've found one, if they'll take us. Three out of four big tasks done!