Thursday, July 14, 2011

about friends

My husband tried to explain the move to Kiddo tonight.

Her first question was where is our new house. (This may have been where I got derailed when I tried.) He told her we didn't know, but we'd stay with Grammy and Grandpa for a while until we got a new house.

He told her that all of her things would come with us, and be in our new house.

"New things in our new house?" she asked excitedly. "No, old things in our new house," we replied.

She asked if her old room would be in our new house. No, but you'll have a new room. Then she wanted to know what color it would be. We told her probably white, and she got very excited about the prospect of dancing on a white floor, until we told her it was probably the walls that would be white, not the floor.

Daddy then stressed that while the place would change, it would still be our family, Daddy, Mama, Kiddo, and Babs.

But I felt like we were missing a key fact, so I pointed out that we would have new people at church, and make new friends. (For personal reasons I just could not say out loud that we wouldn't see our old friends. I'm finding that idea pretty much unbearable right now, so I'm mostly ignoring it.)

"New friends?!" she exclaimed. "We can make them out of paper!"

(This comment significantly reduces any guilt I've felt about not providing her with enough friends.)