Thursday, June 9, 2011

bathroom time

Kiddo put herself in the bathroom yesterday while I was feeding Babs and doing some pre-dinner dishes. I just let her read, and take her time, like always. After a while I heard her declare something to me, with some insistence, so I dried off my hands and went to see what was so important.

She was sitting on the porcelain part of the big toilet (she still uses a toddler one), proudly announcing that she was using two potties today. Having recently cleaned the toilet, I was only marginally grossed out, thought in my head, "whatever," exclaimed some sort of neutral comment, and let her be. Since I would like to be done with the small potty, I encourage interaction with the big one. I offered to put her toddler seat on it, she informed me she would "just hold on with my hands." Great.

I went back to dishes and Babs who desperately wanted out of her booster chair. A few moments later I decided to check on Kiddo. She was reclining in the toilet, bottom well in the toilet water (unused, she has a small potty after all).

"ARGH!" I yell. "We do not dip our bottom in the water."

"Oh!" she yells in surprise, obviously not expecting to be caught in the act. I lift her up and start cleaning her off.

"My bottom is wet!" she announces. "Of course it is!" I reply angrily, "You stuck your bottom in the water!" I inform her that the moment her hands are washed, she will be standing in the corner.

At this point Babs has discovered that the bathroom door is open. This excites her, and she heads full speed in. I block her as much as I can and still clean up the other one.

"Oh Babs!" lamented Kiddo as Babs climbed up on the stool in the bathroom to splash in the sink water. "I dipped my bottom and have to stand in the corner! We don't dip our bottoms!"

As I dry Kiddo's hands, and send her off, Babs sees her opportunity and makes a break for the plunger. She got there first.