Sunday, May 8, 2011

church for Kiddo

Although the official language of our branch is English, there are many other languages spoken by the members, which means that prayers are often offered in other languages. Such was the case in Sacrament Meeting. Kiddo looked at me as the prayer was said, communicating big questions with her eyes to me during the prayer. I whispered that she was speaking her language. (This women spends a decent amount of time with our family, never speaking English, so why this was a surprise to Kiddo is not clear to me.)

In Primary, Kiddo volunteered to pray. "I will pray in English," she announced, and then proceeded to speak jibberish for most of her prayer. She was so proud of her prayer in another language.

***

Our pianist was late in getting to church, so I was trying to find someone to lead so I could play. As this unfolded, Kiddo told me she wanted to lead. As I started to tell her no, my branch president jumped in the conversation and told her yes. My three-year old conducted the opening hymn of Sacrament Meeting. All it takes to serve in this place is a willing heart, and she definitely has that. (She gave up conducting by the third verse, but rallied for the final chorus. Not bad for her first official time.)

***

Kiddo's primary lesson was on CTR, or choose the right today. (I was her teacher.) With no prompting, she suggested ways she chooses the right:

*By standing in the corner
*By putting away her toys
*By putting her clothes in the hamper

And for this, we'd like to say thank you.