Tuesday, April 28, 2009

open and shut

When people get married, they realize that they do things differently. For example, my husband likes doors to rooms to be shut (it looks orderly), I like them to be open (it looks, well, open). I won that difference of opinion; we keep the doors open.

My daughter apparently takes after my husband in this respect, she pushes closed all the doors in the house. But, whenever she closes a door, that implies that she has now shut herself into a room, and is not able to open it up to get herself out. (It is a skill she wants, but is both not tall enough or dexterous enough to accomplish - yet.) So far being stuck in the room has not concerned her, but that could be because I only give her a few moments before I open the door, and surprise! it's mama!

In fact, we played that game for a long time today. She would close the door to my room with her in and me out. After a few moments I would knock then come in. She would squeal with laughter, then walk to the door so she could close me out again, and again, and again.