Friday, September 19, 2014

"a-py" part 2

The boy and I were in the kitchen this morning. I was making Kiddo's lunch, and he was investigating the room. These are our roles in the kitchen. He was standing next to the oven, staring at his reflection in the dark glass. He was singing some tuneless song using his repertoire of sounds, but then I noticed that he was repeating one particular sound: "a-py, a-py, a-py..."

I looked at him, and asked excitedly, "Are you singing a song?"

He smiled, immediately sat down, and clapped his hands together, which, as I've pointed out, is how he asks me to sing "If You're Happy and You Know It..."


So, did he understand "sing song," or was he singing his favorite song? I don't know, but I love emerging vocabulary, it's one of my favorite parts of development to watch.

Other words he understands: food, breakfast, both his sisters' names, outside. I'm sure there are more, I just don't know them.