Sunday, February 3, 2013

her testimony

Last week in Sacrament Meeting, Kiddo turned to me and insisted, "I have a testimony!" I replied that I knew that, and then she told me she'd like to share her testimony at church. I told her that it wasn't the right Sunday, but that she could next Sunday. (The first Sunday of the month in our church is reserved for members to share their feelings about our religion, it's called testimony meeting.)

On Monday, Kiddo remembered that we owned a kid's barn tent. It is folded up in a closet, where I like it best. She wanted to play with it. I was eating breakfast (and no one disturbs my breakfast these days) so told her where I thought she could find it. She and Babs headed downstairs to investigate, while I finished my breakfast in peace. And since it was so nice and quiet, I thought I'd read one more article from my newspaper, but instead I felt like I needed to go down and help them. This was a strong enough feeling that I followed it, and went downstairs. As I walked into the room where I anticipated them finding the tent, I remembered the tent was somewhere else. But before I could say that, Kiddo announced "We couldn't find the tent. So we prayed to Heavenly Father to help us find it."

I told her I was pretty sure the tent was in another closet, and I retrieved it for her. As I walked back to where they were, all the pieces fell together, and I taught her the lesson I just learned. "Kiddo, Heavenly Father did help you find the tent. He knew you couldn't find it, so he sent me to help you. He answered your prayers."

Later that evening, we were having Family Home Evening, and we discussed testimonies so we could remind Kiddo what was expected of her. She bore a lovely five-year old testimony about praying to find the tent, and having Heavenly Father help her find it.

Fast forward to today. She was very excited to bear her testimony. My husband walked up with her to the stand but did not go any closer. She was going to do this herself. Then she bore a wonderful testimony for any age. She testified that the church was true. She told about praying, and receiving an answer to her prayer. She reminded us that Heavenly Father always answers our prayers. She closed her testimony appropriately, then skipped back down to her seat (with nary a backwards glance at her dad, still on the stand).

She is amazing.