Wednesday, April 13, 2011

color blind

One thing I really desire for my children is sufficient exposure to diverse populations, such that they are color blind. But, I never really thought that would be possible until we arrived where we are for my husband's work. We are in the minority in our town, and at our church.

[Once we were eating at "the burger store." A white person walked in and I thought, now they look out of place, and then quickly remembered I was white too, and thus also stood out.]

Last night though, I knew we had succeeded. In a book we were reading, Kiddo found someone with her name. There were four children in the illustration: two boys, a girl with long braids who was black and a short haired blond girl. Kiddo looked at the children, knowing one shared her name, and associated herself with the girl with long hair.

Now if I can just help her keep this as we move to our next place.