Tuesday, September 8, 2009

do you hear what I hear?

Kiddo is a talker. She has lots of words that actually sound like what they are supposed to, and even more that I can understand. She also has some short sentences and phrases. Because I currently am a blogging slacker, this entry is everything I can think of right now.

She finishes all prayers with a very enthusiastic "A-Man!" and can even pray by herself. She will fold her arms, bow her head, and babble until she is done (and not a moment sooner) and finish with an "A-Man!" She finds this very fulfilling, and will often request "mo-one" (more) afterwards, and start again.

She does a similar trick with a cell phone, she picks it up, babbles for a while, then says "bye," and shuts the phone. Then she opens it again and starts over.

The weekend of graduation she learned a handy phrase: "I NEE!" "What do you need?" is often my follow-up phrase. Mostly, she points, or I infer. She needs books, toys, television, my glass of water, fruit snacks, or anything she can see and desire. Recently she has helpfully added "I NEE DA" (I need that...) so although she has added an object to the sentence, I still don't always know what she wants. It should be clear that often, the answer to her request is "you don't need [whatever]."

The exception to her undefined needs is in the car, where she likes to listen to her "on the farm" CD (thanks mom, it was a lovely gift). She will sit in her car seat, and repeat "I NEE song" until we press play. But she has recently mastered climbing into her car seat by herself, so that is a great help to the getting in the car process. "song" is one of her newest words, and she likes to say it, and hear them.

There is a shed in the backyard of the house we're currently in. We walk into the backyard, and she yells "barn!" with contentment and goes to investigate.

She can say "fun" and "friend" and "funny" and "book" and "bath" and "duck" and "nest" and "cat," among others. She recently learned "baby" and says it whenever she sees anyone (in a book or real life) cradling something. When I pick her up that way she says "baby" and snuggles in for .5 seconds before she wiggles into a more toddler-esque position.

Often when she wakes from her naps or in the morning, she calls out for us "ma-mine...da-da...ma-mine...da-da" until one of us (in the morning, that's usually my husband) gets her. Then she joyfully cheers when she sees the other one of us. She is most capable of using "da-da" in sentences, such as "mo-one, da-da" (whether she's talking to him or me) and "where's dada?" She is big on having us both present and accounted for currently.

And she knows "wet." After spitting her water out, or spilling it all over herself, she announces with a little consternation "wet." We agree with her, and let her suffer the consequences.