Tuesday, November 4, 2008

kitchen help

Now that she can get around better (what with the big girl crawl and learning to pull herself up, and let herself down), my daughter is now more and more into everything. She is particularly fond of the kitchen.

She helps with the laundry, by taking all of the clothes out of the basket. (She is particularly fond of the whites.)

She helps with the dishes by unloading the spoons, and verifying their cleanliness by licking them. (Thus ensuring another go round in the dishwasher.) She also sometimes pushes the spoons under the fridge to make sure I'm cleaning the dust out from there. She would prefer to work with the knives, but somehow those never seem to be in the dishwasher for very long if she is.
And lately she's taken to cleaning the knobs on the cupboards - although her methods are untraditional.
She also likes to watch things cook, although there are no pictures of that. Today she had a little melt down while I was trying to get dinner on. She was inconsolable. I knew she needed to be held, but couldn't cook (with raw meat and the stove) with her in my arms. And if I didn't get dinner on then, my husband wouldn't get a chance to eat tonight. So, I went to the attic, brought down her baby backpack and stuck her in. It was not the most pleasant cooking experience for me, but she sure had fun, yelling "DA DA DA DA..." in my ear and pulling at my hair. Our best moment was when I tried to squeeze in a little laundry, and was trying to move clothes from the washer to the dryer. She would pull the lid of the washer on my head while I was trying to fish out the last of the clothes.
She's such a great help.