Monday, November 10, 2008

helping out

My child loves the dryer. When the door is open, she likes to pull herself up, look inside, and generally thinks its grand. She is even more excited to find clothes in the laundry, because she really likes to take things out. She is not particular to what the things are or where they are, she just likes to get them out of it. So today we opened the dryer to get out the clean and dry dishtowels. As she started pulling things out, I thought, if I put the basket in the right place, she can empty the dryer for me.

At first, she specifically tried to avoid the basket, until I showed her three times that we can take out a towel, and put it in the basket. Then, she did it once, and I cheered her on so much that she couldn't wait to do it again, and again, and again.

So, now someone else can unload the dryer. Except when Kiddo does it, I need to stand there to help her keep her balance, keep cheering her on so she continues to put them in the basket, and get the clothes that are past her reach, so maybe this isn't such a good deal after all.