Thursday, August 7, 2008

tv rules

Before I was a mom, I read that TV for little children was bad, and I imagined that it would be no big deal to keep my daughter from watching television before she was 2. What I didn't realize was that watching TV is apparently not a learned trait. She loves the TV. And she just came this way. (My mother-in-law blames my husband, and I'm okay with that.) So, if my husband and I are watching TV (which in truth, is not that much), and she's up, she tends to watch it too.

When I was growing up, the rule was that we had to be a body's distance from the TV. We would often lie on the floor, prop our feet on the bookcase where the TV sat, and watch from there, because it was as close as we could get away with. I was amused to see my daughter already understands this rule:

Unfortunatly, she has a very little body, so it is not as effective for keeping her a reasonable distance away.