Friday, August 15, 2008

color coding the world

Yesterday we went south to the big city to see my brother and his family. We met up at their hotel, swam in the pool until the thunderstorm chased us out, and went out to dinner. This is only the second time I've had interactive baby at a restaurant. The other time went very smoothly, so I expected the same here. It was not. She didn't like the seat, she didn't want her food, and it took long enough for my food to get there that it was much harder to keep her busy while I ate. Question for myself: am I ready for restaurants yet? But, Kiddo loved the pool and could have stayed all day had the clouds not pushed us away. And it is always nice to see family.

Since we were there, we stopped in to Babies 'R Us to find a stroller and a new car seat. (Our choices are rather limited where we live.) We were successful on both counts. Unfortunately, the stroller that had the requisite features (tall enough, recline) came in two color options: brown with pink, and brown with blue. So I weighed what I know, with what I don't:

I know I already have a girl - and she will use this stroller for a while.
I know I am planning to have additional kids in the future.
I don't know whether future children will be boys or girls.
I know that when babies have baby hair, people see them as whatever gender they want (despite clothing choices).
I know I don't care when this happens.
I know I am frustrated by the lack of gender neutral options.
I know I am more comfortable with a girl in blue than a boy in pink.

You can guess which option I chose. And now, it is decided that I will only have girls.

The test of the stroller is tomorrow, when my girl and I fly to visit the grandparents, while husband is on a different flight (long story). She'll have to wear pink.