Friday, April 17, 2015

to eat or not to eat


(This picture has nothing to do with this story. This is her easter bonnet from preschool. But it's a recent picture, and her hair appears to be brushed.)

Babs had "cheerios and milk" for breakfast this morning. She dropped one cheerio on the table. And then she asked me if it was okay to eat. This is a reasonable question. According to my husband, everything that falls on the floor is immediately unclean, and most everything that falls on the table is no longer good. I, on the other hand, tend to be a bit more liberal in my interpretation of the five-second rule.

As I mentioned, I'm sick. And Babs phrased the question really oddly, so it took a while to understand what she was asking. I looked her in the eye and replied, "I don't really care what you do with that cheerio."

She looked at me for a moment, then announced, "I'm going to take that as a no," and put the cheerio back on the table.