Friday, January 23, 2015

sleep ninja

The other night I was kneeling by my bed, praying.

I hear my oldest daughter slip into the room quietly. She doesn't bother me while I'm praying, but just waits. I can hear her breathing behind me.

A few moments later my husband comes in, and settles into bed with a book. I think it's strange that he doesn't talk to Kiddo, but am praying, so don't spend much time worrying about it.

I finish, stand up, and turn around to talk to her. Except she's not there.

"Kiddo, get out of the closet," I order.

"How did you know I was there?" she asks as she opens the door. My husband is more than a little surprised to see her there.

"I could hear you breathing."



I don't remember which of us got to put her to bed that night. She doesn't fall asleep at night now, until around 10 or later. It's been going on for a few months, so by now we're used to her quietly creeping out of bed to come talk to us while we're doing the dishes, or sitting on the couch. But when it first started happening, she'd come so quietly, then lurk in the dark hallway, or a corner. Both parents were startled more than once.