Wednesday, January 9, 2013

small prayers, big thanks

Babs often chooses to be uncooperative. She makes a special push to be off-task when we have Family Home Evening, and family scripture study/prayer. We are walking the delicate balance of letting her know what our family expectations are and not making gospel moments miserable moments (after all, they should be joyful, for her and us). Because of her uncooperativeness, but maybe just silliness, she often won't talk, talks in a baby voice, or slightly modifies what you've asked her to repeat. So, what few prayers she's offered in the last few months have been fed to her, where my husband talks, and she repeats (or doesn't, as the case may be).

But you've got to try again right? So the other day I let her pray by herself for the lunch blessing. And she did a good job.

Two nights ago, I suggested that we let her do family prayer by herself.

"Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for letting me see the baby. Amen."

She has prayed three times since then, and they all say about the same thing.

She is immensely grateful for a few minutes over the Christmas holiday. We went to the Pioneer Village at the This is the Place Monument, and there was a live nativity scene, with a shepherd, Mary, Joseph, and a little baby Jesus. Babs loved it. She loved it so much that she convinced her good Aunt M to take her to see it a second time.

Two weeks later, she is still grateful that "Aunt M took me to see the baby."

***

I too was grateful to see the baby. Having a Christmas baby (like Kiddo), or perhaps any baby, makes the whole Mary, baby, in a stable?!? story so poignant. And seeing a tiny baby, with lots of dark hair, so small, well, it reminded me of my babies, and what a sacrifice Mary made, and how grateful I am.